Serving Sumner County since 1995.

Sumner County Emergency Communications

501 North Washington Ave.

Wellington, KS 67152

Administrative Phone: 620.326.3398


© 2020-2019

Call 9-1-1 anytime you need police, fire, or medical

In most locations, 9-1-1 is for emergencies only, but in Sumner County, you need to call 9-1-1 anytime you need a police officer or sheriff's deputy, firefighter, or paramedic to come to your location, whether it is an emergency or not.

Sumner County 911 is responsible for dispatching all response agencies to calls, whether those calls are emergencies or not. There are many times you need the police for non-emergency calls such as loose animals, lost or stolen car tags, abandoned vehicles, etc. If police are needed to investigate, 911 is responsible for dispatching them to the scene.

Many times a citizens thinks, "this isn't an emergency, I'll just call the police station". When that occurs, the records clerk takes the information, and then turns around and calls Dispatch to send an officer. If the situation is determined to be urgent, this delays sending an officer to the scene; it would have been quicker simply to call 9-1-1 to begin with.

So regardless of how non-emergent or non-urgent a call may seem, if you need help to come to your location, call 9-1-1.

You are also required to call 9-1-1 when initiating a controlled burn as well. State Regulations require you to notify the Sheriff's Office and Fire Department before starting a prescribed burn; in Sumner County, this can be accomplished by calling 9-1-1.

For more information on when it is appropriate to call 9-1-1, visit our pages at and

Anytime you have questions about 9-1-1 or Sumner County 911 operations, we invite you to call us at 620-326-3398.

  • Facebook
  • Twitter
  • YouTube